Pathfinder Island, Source Lake
The 17-acre island has been home for 105 seasons to Camp Pathfinder for boys. The rustic canoe trip camp sends trips throughout Algonquin Park and across Ontario and Quebec.
Pathfinder's Dining Hall, built in 1932.
For decades, rail service was the only way to reach Source Lake.
Swimming, paddling, canoe trips and all around sports were the program focus at Pathfinder from inception.
Pathfinder beginnings resonate today. The camp was founded in the Woodcraft tradition, with a Christian emphasis that included chapel meetings, song, reflection and grace traditions.
The entire camp gathered at flagpole, with a newly planted Stalker Park in front of the Dining Hall. Daily grace at mealtimes, flag ceremonies, and bugle calls were all part of the daily routines.
Herman 'Chief' and Becky Norton ran the camp for 42 years.
The Nortons 'at home' in their cabin, now the PX office and winter cabin for camp. Mr. Norton guided camp through 4 decades of peace, war and depression, with an emphasis on the camp's traditional values.
Staff portrait ca. 1945. As today, the counselors provided leadership by example, with an emphasis on self-reliance, friendship, respect for nature, gratitude and service and simple living without material acquisition.